[Homeroast] Swissmar Roaster woes

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Sun May 21 18:34:44 CDT 2017

At 04:14 PM 5/21/2017, you wrote:
>Unfortunately, the thing quit on her in mid-roast and it appears
>that the control board has failed.  Her husband can see no obvious bad spots.
>
>Since this has worked so well for her, I'm wondering if anyone can
>offer suggestions to get her going again.

Take it apart and clean (brush and vacuum) it thoroughly.  If we are
talking about the Alpenrost, mine quit several years ago in mid roast
because it had accumulated enough chaff inside the housing to block
the cooling airflow, overheat and trip a resettable thermal
sensor.  Mine came back to life once I let it cool and vacuumed it
out, but I would bet there is also a one time thermal fuse somewhere
that could have tripped in her case if it is totally dead.

>I never saw the thing in operation, but have been told that the
>machine reverses both its drum rotation and fan direction for some
>events (probably end of roast and cooling/eject.

It reverses the drum rotation to dump the beans but not the fan.  The
simply fan runs continuously at the same speed.  There is a motorized
damper at the fan end that closes to direct most of the airflow
through the interior of the machine (to cool the housing) during
roasting and then opens at the end of the roast to cool the beans.  I
don't remember if there is any sort of sensor on the damper, but make
sure it operates freely.... it can get gunked up with chaff and debris.

Mine is close to 20 years old now and still works great when I use
it.  But I do have to clean it out once in a while.

Does the display light up or is it totally dead?

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI
pgoelz at comcast.net