[Homeroast] Does Coffee Bean Size Matter?

Seth Grandeau grandeau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 13:23:30 CDT 2017

There is some belief that very small, peaberry beans may have more intense
flavor.  My reading, and my brief discussion with one grower, did not
indicate any difference in flavor, based on bean size.  You do want to get
lots that are well sorted, so your beans will be uniform in size and will
roast at the same rate.

If you have the option to get beans from the same producer, in different
sizes, you can buy both, do your own test, and report back to us, with
first hand knowledge.  I know Tom had the same coffee (an Ethiopian one, if
I recall) in both a wet and dry process form, a few years back, so you
could do the comparison, to see how process style affects taste.  I tried
it and proved, to myself, that I prefer the more "wild" flavor of dry
processed coffees.