[Homeroast] Wondering about changes over first days?

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Wed Jun 14 17:33:59 CDT 2017

The key to a good successful light roast is much more than just drop temp. I do production roasts dropped 418f, 416f even no problem. HOWEVER, many/most people (including so called professionals) screw up light roasts by not developing the roast fully before the drop. Barest minimum I want 2min from start of 1st to end of roast usually more like 2:30 or a bit more finish. Which of course means knowing how to control your roaster and slow the ramp just before hitting 1st...

Also a rule of the thumb the lighter the roast the longer the rest, ESPECIALLY for espresso. My Delirium blend best about 12-14 days rest. My current washed Yirg' Beriti dropped 418f (start of 1st ~11:45 EOR ~14:30) min 14 days rest and screaming delish over the top smooth, silky, creamy floral & citrus shots days out at days 19-20.

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/

Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone before.