[Homeroast] Wondering about changes over first days?

sallsup sallsup at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 13:45:44 CDT 2017

It totally depends upon the coffee!  A high quality bean with a
suitable roast level is going to be very-good-to-great so we're really
just talking like the difference between A-, A, A+ A++ .

My roasts are small batches, 1-2 days' supply per batch.
Typically I roast in late afternoon or evening, meaning "morning
after" coffee has aged 12-15 hours.
"Next day" coffee is 36-40ish range.  "Another couple of days" is
usually the 2nd-5th morning post-roast.

Some "IN GENERAL" personal-observations every-bean-is-different ...
* Island and Americas-origins, Kenya, Rwanda, and wet-processed, are
often the most spectacular "the morning after" and less OMG-wow after
day four+.
* Yemeni, Ethiopian, and Sumatra origin coffees, and dry-processed
coffees, often improve significantly with an additional day or three
of rest and take longer to start 'falling off'.
* Brightness and acidity fall off first
* Complexity gets better with NextDay+ AnotherCoupleOfDays, it
improves with longer rests and takes longer to fall off
* The darker the roast, the shorter the rest and peak flavor window.

So if in the morning I can pick between a 1st group rested 12 hours
and 2nd group rested 18 hours, I'll go with the 1st group.  But the
2nd would still be a satisfying cup after only 12 hours.
If we're talking about "what coffee will taste better on day 5
relative to day 1", I would go with the 2nd grouping.

I *try* to roast with an eye towards having my morning cups be coffee
at its peak resting period.  But with high quality beans, even if I
overshoot the "peak" by a day or three I'm still getting a great cup.

I can ship friends a collection of "short-rest" coffees, ground just
after roasting and vac-sealed, that after prep and shipping delays
won't be drunk before day 7 post-roast or longer -- and they'll still
be knocked off their feet by the OMG improvement over their normal
office and coffee-shop drinks.  We who've trained our palates can
detect the lack of immediate freshness, but it's relative:  A++ to A
to us, but C- to A for the friend.

-Sharon