[Homeroast] Rotisserie roasting

Bill Haecker bhaecker at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 16:21:32 CST 2017

I have the RK 5 lb drum setup on a rusted out 4 burner propane grill.  I usually don't do more than 3 lbs because I have a hard time getting a consistent roast with anymore than that.  I use two digital thermometers one near the top of the hood and one below the drum. Without the drum installed I turn the grill on high until the two temps start reading near each other then I know that my grill is thoroughly preheated (usually to around 700F).  I then will turn the grill down to low or medium low (depending on the weather) and install the drum full of greens into the grill.  The act of opening the lid and installing this cooler mass will effectively lower the temps to around 500-550F.  I will play with those temps down to as low as 400F if I'm really trying to stretch out 1st crack.  I usually complete my roasts in 12-20 minutes.  I recently purchased one of these leather welding blankets to help contain the heat https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009A4NKW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Happy roasting!
Bill

 Rats, should have proofed
 that! I can get pretty close to full city+ by
 stoping very early into *2nd crack*!! Not first
 crack!!!

 On Tue, Jan 31,
 2017 at 3:14 PM, Scott Thile <sethile.pipes at gmail.com>
 wrote:

 I've had good success using a system similar in design
 to the RK Drum on a
 > 3 burner propane
 grill:

 > http://www.rkdrums.com/
 >
 > Do some searching
 around and you'll find all kinds of information and
 > variations.
 >
 > The drum and motor I'm using are early
 versions that came from the
 > following
 eBay vender that copied the RK stuff:

 http://www.ebay.com/sch/metal-craftsman/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

 > I've been very
 happy with mine for the price (it was cheeper back then),
 > but I suspect the RK stuff is a little
 better made. It may be the newer
 > Metal
 Craftsman stuff is better than the version I have too.
 I've had to do
 > a few repairs and
 mods on the drum. Mine will roast up to 5lbs, but my
 > typical roasts are between 1 1/2 and 3
 lbs. It does have a rib to keep the

 beans moving. I would think you'd want to rig something
 up if yours does
 > not have one.
 >
 > I originally used a
 standard (slow) rotisserie motor. It worked, but the
 > roasts were very uneven. The 60 RPM motor
 I bought from the metal craftsman

 fellow greatly improved my roasts, which are now much more
 even.

 > I like to
 keep the grill temp (as measured by the thermometer in the
 lid)
 > at just under 500 degrees. I'm
 not sure the rating on mine, but it has

 three burners. You can improve the heat retention by
 covering up the
 > various drafts. This is
 essential in very cold, and/or windy conditions,
 > and at all times for efficiency. I just
 use tin foil and move it around to

 adjust the amount of airflow.

 > I'd love to be able to measure the
 bean mass temp. I can get close using

 digital thermometer and a probe that just touches the
 outside outside of
 > the drum, but
 it's a pain to use, and not as accurate as I'd like,
 so I
 > don't normally mess with it.
 Roasting times vary depending on how much
 > coffee I'm roasting, but I can usually
 hit second crack at around 12:30

 minutes for 1 1/2 lbs and around 18 minutes for closer to 3
 lbs. It's great
 > to be able to roast
 3lbs or more at a time, especially fun to have extra
 > roasted and packaged up as gifts during
 the holidays.

 > My
 main problem is repeatability. I can get a pretty consistent
 full city+
 > roast by stoping very early
 into 1st crack. I can usually keep the profile
 > close by messing with the burners and
 adjusting my tin foil covering the
 > gaps
 while watching the lid temp. It's a little hit and miss.
 Anything
 > other than full city+ is risky
 at best, and not at all repeatable if I do
 > happen to hit a profile I like.
 >

 > On Sat, Jan 28, 2017
 at 12:27 AM, Michael Schinasi <
 wrote:

 >> Does
 anyone use a rotisserie for roasting?  I have been using my
 gas
 >> barbecue with a mesh outdoor
 popcorn popper and it works pretty well. You
 >> can roast up to around a pound of
 beans. But i am looking for something
 >> that will be more automatic; I have to
 shake the basket back and forth for

 anywhere from 20 minutes to 40.  The Rotisserie I saw has a
 high
 >> temperature of 400 degrees. If
 I recall correctly to get to second crack
 >> you have to get the beans to around
 450 degrees. But I was wondering if

 the
 >> heat builds up in the beans so
 even if the roaster is not getting up to
 >> 450
 >> the beans
 will. I have roasted outside when it is very cold and I
 can't
 >> get
 >> me grill much above 420 degrees. But
 that is the ambient temperature of

 the
 >> grill and while it takes longer
 --about 40 minutes for 3/4 to 1 pound--
 >> the
 >> coffee
 still comes out tasting OK.  The other thing is that the
 rotisserie
 >> rotates about 3-4 times
 per minute. Is that enough?  One last thing is
 >> that
 >> the
 basket does not have any kind of interior rib. So I wonder
 if that it
 >> will be the basket that
 turns but the beans will just remain on the bottom
 >> and not actually turn over.  Any
 thoughts?

 homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
 Maria's Forum</a>
 >> <a
 href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our
 new Coffee Library</a>

 > --
 >
 > *Scott E. Thile*
 > *S.E.THILE Handmade Pipes*
 > http://sethilepipes.com
 > *Sysop for Pipedia, the wiki for pipes*
 > http://pipedia.org
 >
 > *"A man who
 works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with
 his
 > hands and his brain is a craftsman;
 but a man who works with his hands and

 his brain and his heart is an artist."---Louis Nizer,
 Between You and Me,
 > Beechurst Press,
 1948.*