[Homeroast] Iced espresso shots

sallsup sallsup at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 20:05:58 CST 2017

I'm not a shot god, but my off-the-cuff immediate thought is that it's
a function of the temperatures at which the various types of flavor
oils inside the bean will be extracted.

The target hot temperatures result in an extract of the "right" oils
in the right concentration.  Drop it by 10, 20 degrees and you are no
longer extracting one (or more) of the oils, and so those missing oils
aren't there to balance out the ones that do get extracted and so the
sour taste dominates.

Then drop it your room-temperature or lower, and perhaps you're not
extracting as much of the oils that produce those sour tastes.

That's my take on it.  I could be way off base because I've not done
any research on this and I won't since I'm quite happy with the coffee
I get now using the methods I use now :)

-S