[Homeroast] Iced espresso shots

Steven Van Dyke coffee at svandyke.com
Tue Jan 31 19:54:06 CST 2017

A couple of months ago the ever-indulgent wife and I were looking
(online) at the MiniPresso but instead we went with the Staresso 200
(the better, newer version).  It's one of the crop of new portable
espresso makers.
Then this past weekend we ran across a MiniPresso locally she decided
she had to get me (now you know why she's known as the ever-indulgent
wife).

Both of them work surprisingly well.  I'd say get the Staresso if you're
going to be using it inside, say at a hotel.  The MiniPresso is a better
choice if you're going camping. Either one is enough fun to be worth
buying, assuming you can afford to buy one just for the fun of it.

They both suffer from the common problem of 'external boiler' espresso
makers of it being very hard to get your temperature just right.
There's a strong tendency for the shots to be slightly cool and come out
a bit sour.  I will admit that rather than fight the problem I just use
a little sweetener to correct for it.  I never said I was a purist, I
just like my coffee.

BUT, the Staresso comes with the intriguing suggestion of making a shot
with *ice water*.  I tried it and it's surprising in two ways:  First,
it's quite good.  Second, it comes out *sweet*.
I've tested it with the MiniPresso and it works the same way.  Even
using just plain, room temperature water works quite well.  The shot
isn't quite as sweet as with ice water, but it's still pretty sweet.
Kind of unsettling due to the (lack of) temperature, but good tasting.

So my question for you shot gods is, if your water temperature being 5 -
20 degrees too low makes a shot sour, how come having the temperature
over 100 degrees low makes it sweet?

Enjoy!
KCSteve :->