[Homeroast] Rotisserie roasting

Scott Thile sethile.pipes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 15:14:43 CST 2017

I've had good success using a system similar in design to the RK Drum on a
3 burner propane grill:

http://www.rkdrums.com/

Do some searching around and you'll find all kinds of information and
variations.

The drum and motor I'm using are early versions that came from the
following eBay vender that copied the RK stuff:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/metal-craftsman/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I've been very happy with mine for the price (it was cheeper back then),
but I suspect the RK stuff is a little better made. It may be the newer
Metal Craftsman stuff is better than the version I have too. I've had to do
a few repairs and mods on the drum. Mine will roast up to 5lbs, but my
typical roasts are between 1 1/2 and 3 lbs. It does have a rib to keep the
beans moving. I would think you'd want to rig something up if yours does
not have one.

I originally used a standard (slow) rotisserie motor. It worked, but the
roasts were very uneven. The 60 RPM motor I bought from the metal craftsman
fellow greatly improved my roasts, which are now much more even.

I like to keep the grill temp (as measured by the thermometer in the lid)
at just under 500 degrees. I'm not sure the rating on mine, but it has
three burners. You can improve the heat retention by covering up the
various drafts. This is essential in very cold, and/or windy conditions,
and at all times for efficiency. I just use tin foil and move it around to
adjust the amount of airflow.

I'd love to be able to measure the bean mass temp. I can get close using
digital thermometer and a probe that just touches the outside outside of
the drum, but it's a pain to use, and not as accurate as I'd like, so I
don't normally mess with it. Roasting times vary depending on how much
coffee I'm roasting, but I can usually hit second crack at around 12:30
minutes for 1 1/2 lbs and around 18 minutes for closer to 3 lbs. It's great
to be able to roast 3lbs or more at a time, especially fun to have extra
roasted and packaged up as gifts during the holidays.

My main problem is repeatability. I can get a pretty consistent full city+
roast by stoping very early into 1st crack. I can usually keep the profile
close by messing with the burners and adjusting my tin foil covering the
gaps while watching the lid temp. It's a little hit and miss. Anything
other than full city+ is risky at best, and not at all repeatable if I do
happen to hit a profile I like.

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Michael Schinasi <mschinasi at suddenlink.net
> wrote:

> Does anyone use a rotisserie for roasting?  I have been using my gas
> barbecue with a mesh outdoor popcorn popper and it works pretty well. You
> can roast up to around a pound of beans. But i am looking for something
> that will be more automatic; I have to shake the basket back and forth for
> anywhere from 20 minutes to 40.  The Rotisserie I saw has a high
> temperature of 400 degrees. If I recall correctly to get to second crack
> you have to get the beans to around 450 degrees. But I was wondering if the
> heat builds up in the beans so even if the roaster is not getting up to 450
> the beans will. I have roasted outside when it is very cold and I can't get
> me grill much above 420 degrees. But that is the ambient temperature of the
> grill and while it takes longer --about 40 minutes for 3/4 to 1 pound-- the
> coffee still comes out tasting OK.  The other thing is that the rotisserie
> rotates about 3-4 times per minute. Is that enough?  One last thing is that
> the basket does not have any kind of interior rib. So I wonder if that it
> will be the basket that turns but the beans will just remain on the bottom
> and not actually turn over.  Any thoughts?
> sweetmariascoffee.com

*Scott E. Thile*
*S.E.THILE Handmade Pipes*
http://sethilepipes.com
*Sysop for Pipedia, the wiki for pipes*
http://pipedia.org

*"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his
hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and
his brain and his heart is an artist."---Louis Nizer, Between You and Me,
Beechurst Press, 1948.*