[Homeroast] Need Advice on Brewer

Seth Grandeau grandeau at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 13:03:30 CDT 2017

"I have a softener, but where we live it's standard that the kitchen tap is
the only unsoftened cold water in the house, so I suppose I could get water
from the bathroom."

Why would you not have the kitchen tap softened?  You'd have to run a
separate water line, to bypass the softener to do that, since they are
usually installed right where the water enters the house.

There were a lot of discussions on RO water vs distilled water vs filtered
drinking water (which would still have some minerals in it), in brewing
coffee.  Personally, where I live, which is a little bit hard and has a
little bit of minerals, I much prefer using water from a Zero Water pitcher
(which gets me down to 0 total dissolved solids) to straight from the tap
or tap + brita filter (which I have now thrown away).

With mildly bad water, the zero water filter is a great solution (I think I
was around 120 TDS, at the tap).  But we have a little vacation place up in
the mountains (where I have the Bonavita), and the water is MUCH worse up
there (TDS in the 400-500 range) and the Zero Water filters clog up fast
and they are not cheap.  I'm thinking about giving up and just using
bottled water, instead.