[Homeroast] Need Advice on Brewer

John Nordling john.nordling at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 08:22:13 CDT 2017

I just got a connected version of the Behmor.  (It was a gift from my
parents).  I'm not fully sold on the connectedness of it adding any value
vs. a standard brewer, but if I was going to hit the high points I've found
that Behmor could use for marketing:

1) Regarding connectedness: My parents are visiting today, and I'm at
work.  I ground coffee for them, programmed the brewer ahead of time from
my phone (the app is pretty intuitive), and generally got it set up.  When
they want coffee (or another pot, since I made some for me before anyone
else was up), all they have to do is put the grounds in the basket, add
water, and push the giant button on the front of it.  The nonconnected
version is much more intimidating, because so many buttons - I presume it
can do the same things though.  I could easily see finding a good setting
and getting someone who likes good coffee and is also a techniphobe set up
with a solid recipe and treating it like a Mr. Coffee - one button and boom.

2) The alert I get on my phone when my coffee is ready is basically
pointless.  But funny enough that I have left them turned on.  (I saw 20
minutes ago from my office 20 miles away that my coffee is ready).

3) It makes good coffee.  superb really.  I'm getting flavors from this
Guatemalan (SM's greens, roasted to somewhere around half way between first
and second crack) that I only get on my best pourovers.  I have 1/2 a dozen
or less pots through it, but I'm getting consistency and quality that I
don't always getin my pourovers.  I can get better coffee sometimes from a
pourover (I think), but I don't do it enough to have perfect technique, so
it's mostly luck.  Longevity of the brewer is yet to be determined.

Quality versus Technivorm - I really wanted a technivorm (I mean REALLY
wanted one), but at half the price, with coffee this good, I am more than
satisifed with the Behmor.  I've not had an SCAA certified drip brewer
before, so I'm not qualified to comment beyond that on comparisons to other
brewers.  My last brewer (dead for a couple years now due to
neglect-induced scale buildup that I have not been able to dissolve away or
find the right tool to take apart and physically chip away) was a Cuisinart
Grind 'n Brew.

-John