[Homeroast] Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker?

Robert Foster foster49801 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 11:57:02 CDT 2017

On Apr 4, 2017, at 9:15 AM, Phil Palmintere wrote:

> Has anyone heard anything about the Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker?
>
> On a recent episode of the HBO TV series "Billions", there is a kitchen
> scene where the Wilfa is shown.  My wife likes its modern appearance and I
> thought I'd ask.   After all, this coffee maker is in the kitchen of a hedge
> fund billionaire, it must be good, right?  :-)
>
> Thanks
> Phil

Reading between the lines of Weldelboe's own review http://nordiccoffeeculture.com/a-tim-wendelboe-review-of-the-wilfa-svart-presisjon/, this is a basic consumer level machine and not for the sophisticated coffee enthusiast. He assumes the user will use pre-ground coffee and can't be bothered or trusted to select the proper brewing temperature.

While it will look pretty spiffy on your kitchen counter, it probably won't make better coffee than the clunky old Technivorm, or even, as Wendelboe admits, a Clever Dripper. I'm amused when he touts the "clever little mixing tube in the lid" for mixing the coffee better during brewing. Apparently he's never seen a Technivorm.

The Wilfa website says it's available at Williams-Sonoma, but searching the WS site gives no hits, so it's hard to tell how much it costs here in the States or if you can even get it here. Although it may well produce good coffee it's really just a Technivorm 2.0. However, if it's cheaper than the pricey TV, it might be an attractive option. Only time will tell if it's more durable than the sturdy TV.