[Homeroast] Gene Cafe question

Phil Bergman Phil at junglemusic.net
Tue Oct 11 15:12:49 CDT 2016

I preheat my machine to about 325 before I put in the beans.  I then set it
to 482 and leave it there.  Slowly it works its way up.  The GC's will never
reach this 482 temperature as the thermometer is in the chaff end of the
drum.  Slowly my machine heats up the drum to about a maximum of 460 but not
always that high.  I don't do any type of two stage/two temperature
roastings as I've found it just extends the roasting time without any
noticeable benefit.  But, I watch the temperatures closely.  I've found,
with most but not all beans, the temperature shown on the machine will drop
about six to ten degrees during the first crack.  I.e, first crack starts at
450 and over a minute or two goes down to 442.  THEN, it'll start to rise
again and I know first crack is over.  During this temperature dropping
period I carefully watch the bean color, appearance and also the aroma of
the roast.  Within 60 to 90 seconds I end the roast - never allowing the
beans to go anywhere near black or super dark brown.  Also, I have found
that the GC gives a reliable roast doing this but did notice on first using
it that some of the brightness from earlier, different types of machines was
missing.
Phil B.