[Homeroast] Gene Cafe question

sallsup sallsup at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:20:05 CDT 2016

My GC is usually set to roast at the maximum 482F from start to
finish, with roasts taking 14-16 minutes depending upon the degree.  I
like them light, husband likes them dark.

The Gene Cafe was a replacement for our old Hearthwares.  Those units
made great bright roasts in a much shorter time - when they worked.
Usually they sat idle waiting for new parts to arrive (who in their
right mind screws a heat-sensitive controller board to a motor
housing, thereby exposing the board to both heat AND vibration?
gaaaaah). It was a disappointment losing 'bright' with our first Gene
Cafe roasts.

Brightness is why I'm setting the GC to 482F.  We fiddled with lower
roast temperatures, but came back to the bright every time.

BTW, it sometimes has trouble maintaining that temperature in cool
room temperatures.

-Sharon