[Homeroast] Flair Espresso Maker

Sandy Andina sandraandina at me.com
Tue Nov 1 14:29:49 CDT 2016

Just pledged for one. I almost always travel with some sort of coffee setup—usually a kettle, Aeropress, mini-grinder & beans. This one is small enough to fit nicely in a suitcase for flight, and in my auxiliary tote if I’m driving. And the price was definitely right!

For travel, when I want espresso and am in a hotel (or staying with friends) and there’s no espresso bar, I’ve either packed a Nespresso Pixie + capsules; or a Bodum Mini-Ibis (or for Europe, a 220v) kettle and either a Handpresso Wild Hybrid + pods or a ROK + pre-ground espresso (or a hand grinder & beans). The Nespresso is a capsule machine, needs emptying at the end of the trip and I have to carry a ziploc baggie with it so I can recycle the spent capsules (eeeuww) at Sur La Table when I get home. It requires its own separate tote bag, so it’s not a good choice for flying. The Handpresso makes decent shots, but the pods give weak crema and the shots cool off too fast; and after last year’s breast cancer surgery, having to repeatedly pump the piston to achieve enough pressure can bring on a flare of lymphedema. The ROK makes great shots, but takes up too much room in my suitcase. (And about a decade ago, its predecessor’s “wing" axle snapped after five uses).

This weekend I foolishly forgot to pack my coffee setup. I just spent 5 days in a Sheraton that had only one of those Mr. Coffee single-serve pod machines—and the Starbucks filter packs that came with them were too big for the filter holders and the water overflowed the baskets. I had expected there'd be a Starbucks in the lobby…..nope. Last time I ever travel w/o my own coffee supply!