[Homeroast] Bonavita? Tips, anyone?

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Sun May 8 18:41:08 CDT 2016

Phil,

Regarding grind, a few years ago Tom made an interesting comment. If I
recall correctly (no sure thing), Tom said that he at one time espoused the
notion of types of grind for specific extraction methods, e.g., coarse for
drip, but he had changed his mind and had decided that he got the best
results by grinding as finely as he could get away with in whatever
extraction device he was using.

Regarding ratio of coffee to water, the rule of thumb is something like 2
grams coffee/ounce of water. Here, too, Tom had switched orthodoxy,
deciding that he got best results by brewing stronger than he liked, then
adding hot water to taste. He said he once had considered that practice to
be next to blasphemy but found that there was little if any noticeable
difference when adding hot water at the end of the brew.

I personally have adopted both of these philosophies into my practice.

Brian