[Homeroast] Ira are you using the old Behmor?

Hank Arnold hankarnold at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 08:32:14 CST 2016

Ira are you using the old Behmor to make these adjustments or the NEW One?

If the old one, where are you finding these adjustment tips?

Thanks, Hank

>> Is this messing up the flavor of my roast because it takes too long to
>> reach 1st crack?  Do I need to do 8 or 12 ounces in 1 pound mode so I
>> hit first crack sooner?

*Having spent a lot of time watching bean temperature in a Behmor> I might
suggest this as an experiment.>> 260 grams of beans to start, adjust as
needed.> Start with P1 B> You may choose to press D to set the drum to high
speed.> Then at one minute press P4 to set the power to 75%>> Adjust bean
qty until you get first crack around 12.5 to 13.5> minutes and then stop it
at whatever point in the roast you want.>> My PWM frequency is a about 100
times as fast so you'll get> different results but I've been getting pretty
decent profiles> with 300 grams and 82-84% power. I only run at high speed>
because I currently have no way to control it except on or off.>> If you're
pleased with that, try adjusting the bean quantity to> speed up or slow
down the roast and also try preheating. I> always preheat till the bean
temperature in an empty roaster> shows 350, then turn the elements to 100%,
and put in the loaded> drum as quickly as possible. You can press B to read
the wall> temperature to make your preheat consistent. If you let the B>
temperature get past some temperature I don't know, the roaster> will not
start until it cools back off.>> I've also insulated my roaster and
effectively covered the> window with foil to help keep the heat in and
speed up the> roasts.>> I can set the power level in 1% increments and find
I get the> bet results if I just pick a power level and leave it alone.>>
The afterburner throws an unknown wrench into the works, worse> if you
roast in a cool environment but it seems to have less> effect than I would
have expected. I can manually control it and> usually turn it on right
about first crack. I roast outside and> the smoke is not a problem.>> And I
really have no idea if that will work any good on a stock> Plus, but given
what I've seen, I think it might.>> -- Ira*