[Homeroast] Moka kadir roasting in Behmor

Jon Currey jon.currey at pobox.com
Sun Mar 6 10:26:43 CST 2016

Hi Jamie

I'm currently drinking moka kadir roasted 7 days ago in my behmor 1600+. I
only ever roast 8oz batches in the behmor. Profile P2, program C, with
default roast time of 14 minutes, is my standard starting point for most
beans. I typically get a roast I like after around 13:30 to 14:30. First
crack somewhere after 11:00 but I pay less attention to that as I like to
get a bit into second before stopping. I've been doing this for about a
year, and it works for most beans I get from Sweet Maria's. But my only
other roasting experience is a few months of stove top (dutch oven and then
whirley pop) so this is just my amateur take. I keep meaning to play with
the manual profiling but put it off as this method gives me shots I'm happy
with.

One other point of note: the behmor is on the end of a 6ft extension power
cable. One of those heavy duty (15 amp) grey ones for appliances. I know
that's not recommended and could be reducing the temperature, but it's the
only way I can roast outside and keep it out of reach of my kids.

Pulling the shots on a circa 1975 La Pavoni with PID mod. I grind on the
finer side for ristretto.

Jon.