[Homeroast] This sounds reasonable - chill the beans before grinding

Janomac janomac at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 10:24:16 CDT 2016

Cory, et al.,
I was just thinking about Ray-O the other day, BEFORE this thread started
and realized how much I miss his input. I loved his wry humor and
especially appreciated his drives toward simplicity.

How many times did a newbie or OCD member start a thread about coffee
storage--mostly about preventing entrance (or even getting rid) of oxygen
in stored roasted beans--when ol' Ray would simply state that the point is
really moot, because if one was roasting enough coffee at one time that
they had to store it more than a couple weeks, they were either roasting
too much at a time or were not drinking enough coffee! I chuckled every
time.

I also smiled or laughed out loud every time he brought up and used various
descriptors for the infamous "made in the PRC" heat guns available at
various discount outlets. His names for these cheap tools always cracked me
up.

And still. much of his coffee advice was spot on. Keep it simple and enjoy
the danged stuff!

I've been on the list since I first bought a batch of the legendary Lot #30
Elephant Harar from SM a few years back (what a blueberry bomb that was!)
and though I rarely have made significant contributions, I have truly
appreciated the community that built up here and has been so friendly,
helpful, and interesting to read. I've done this home roasting thing long
enough now and have sipped or swilled too many wonderful cups to count, so
I suppose I *ought* to contribute more to help those who have been on the
past for only a short time.

Anyway, I lift my cup in salute to Ray and all of the other mentors,
instructors, and "characters," that are really cyber friends here on the SM
List!

Best to you all!
Kirk A. Janowiak (sometimes as Janomac)