[Homeroast] Espresso Machine

Larry Dorman ldorman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 00:47:45 CDT 2016

I bought my first machine from Clive and loved the person I worked with.
He left and I've never had the same experience with them.  I even dropped
by their store last year when I was visiting Portland and they didn't seem
to care at all that I was one of their customers who actually made a
special trip to their store to meet them.  It also seems like a lot of the
machines they sell actually come from Chris' Coffee Service, so I'm
thinking about just going straight to them.  I'm not beyond being talked
back into Clive.

The idea of bottles for the 'plumbing' is interesting.  I've kind of
avoided it because it's already busy under my sink and didn't want to have
to cut holes in the counter, run water/waste lines, etc.  I think the
machine I'm leaning strongly towards at the moment has two models - one
that is strictly plumbed and one that is strictly not plumbed.  (La
Spaziale Dream)  I wouldn't be moving my machine around, so plumbed only
wouldn't be the end of the world for me.  What is a 'Flojet'?  Is that to
pull the water out of the bottle and provide water pressure to the machine?

Sadly, I pretty much destroyed my existing machine, which I loved, with
hard water.  How careful would I have to be if I went the pseudo plumbed
route and bought the multi-gallon water bottles... is that water typically
soft enough?