[Homeroast] Why is espresso in America so bad? Italian perspective

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Fri Feb 26 15:48:29 CST 2016

Well Alchemist I've tried to stay out of this silliness repeat topic. Similar blog posts have been made in the past by Italians bashing US espresso.

On the one hand I agree the chances of getting a half way decent particular style shot in Italy at random is far greater than getting a remotely decent shot in the US at random. Because of government regulation of the espresso industry in Italy and homogenized standards. That said have you ever heard of an Italian winning (or even placing high) in a World Barista Competition? Many Italian barista are true rock stars but generally speaking their coffees are not.

OTOH ANY busy US barista worth his/her salt should be able to pull a high quality dialed in double shot about 1 per minute pace or better. Including post shot pf rinse and group flush. Any needed tweaks to grind/shot do to environmental changes etc. should be made in seconds as you go because you're paying attention to each shot. And I'll add at more like 45 seconds total time per double shot pulling 2 at a time in a slam. ALL THE TIME maintaining high quality shots. Of course that takes experience and practice.

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/

Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone before.