[Homeroast] Why is espresso in America so bad? Italian perspective

Andy Thomas adt0611 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 13:03:31 CST 2016

I don't have first-hand knowledge of coffee culture in either Italy or the Bay area, but it seems to me the author simply likes what he is used to; probably Brazil-based blend with some robusta, roasted dark, and perhaps sweetened with sugar. Lots of Americans drink Folgers or Nescafe or similar for the same reason. Furthermore, American coffee culture is still in flux compared to that in Italy. Traditions are not as firmly established and lots more experimentation takes place here: different blends, different extraction techniques, etc. Marietti can stick with what is tried-and-true for him if he wants to. I don't necessarily like all the whacky things American -- or Australian, Japanese, or British -- coffee people come up with, but I appreciate the spirit of exploration. And sometimes they (we?) actually make improvements, IMO.