[Homeroast] Why is espresso in America so bad? Italian perspective

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 08:24:25 CST 2016

I enjoyed reading the article.  Thanks Mike.

I also found it interesting, and recently I've been thinking about the
different styles of espresso at shops here in Southern California and up in
the SF Bay Area.  My favorite coffee shop in the Bay Area (in Oakland)
always has pulled syrupy delicious shots that are consistently good, and I
think they are lower volume than what I typically get down south.  I
definitely prefer the smaller volume shots of the Oakland shop.

My only experience of "Italian" espresso was from an older Italian guy in
Seattle who runs a very small shop.  He was a great guy and put a smile on
my face.  But, he added white sugar in the dry coffee in the portafilter.
I was shocked by that, but I guessed it was the way it was done in Italy.
I don't know if that's right.  I didn't care for that kind of espresso.
Much preferred the espressos I had at other 3rd wave shots.

I'm lucky enough to be taking my first trip to France & Italy this summer,
and I'm looking forward to trying their coffees more and see if it's as
good as people claim.  I am hoping the coffee in each place is as good as
what I get in London.  :-)

Greg