[Homeroast] Why is espresso in America so bad? Italian perspective

Steve Hamm steve.hamm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 07:53:48 CST 2016

Interesting. Last time I was in Italy, I remember the espresso as being OK
but nowhere great, the analogue of Folgers made on a Bunn drip machine.

I'd expect that the author probably wouldn't like most single-origin shots.
It wouldn't have that commercially homogenized flavor it seems he expects.

I had been thinking about this sort of thing, taste preferences in
coffee/espresso, and robusta vs arabica in very dark roasts (as I've heard
that Italian espresso blends use robusta). This thinking was prompted by a
sample of Death Wish Coffee I got from a colleague. Death Wish is IMHO
coffee fraud -- dark roast robusta with the flavor of burnt tires, but good
marketing.

So, putting it mildly: taste varies.