[Homeroast] Why is espresso in America so bad? Italian perspective

Jim Foote jimmfoote at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:32:31 CDT 2016

Vince, I just got back from Italy and have similar observations.  Espresso
(i.e. caffe) everywhere, always a very short single shot. This was
surprising to me since I only pull double shots and find that is the case
with most espresso shops here in British Columbia. I never saw an Italian
order a caffe and not add sugar.  Some very good, most good and a few not
so good but many list participants likely more discerning than me.  Don't
remember seeing a roastery + coffee bar, always a known commercial coffee
was used.  I found one store in Rome that ground coffee to spec but didn't
roast its own.  Seemed to be a lot fewer home roasters and even home
grinders than I sense is the case in Canada and USA.  Most stores where we
shopped for groceries only handled ground coffee.

We AirBnB'd it for 2 months, almost always had the standard Italian coffee
maker that I came to accept rather than get up and hit the streets for an
espresso (until later).  Gelato, another obsession, is almost as common as
caffe, but that is another matter.

Spent most of our time in Sicily with stays in Rome, Naples, Florence and
Amalfi Coast. I didn't see much difference in the coffee culture, maybe a
bit pricier in Rome and Florence but that is a general expectation as well.

Experiences were limited but seem to be confirmed by other travellers.

Jim