[Homeroast] Homeroast Digest, Vol 99, Issue 9

John Nanci john at chocolatealchemy.com
Mon Apr 11 12:35:46 CDT 2016


Why would you say that?

On 4/11/2016 10:07 AM, John M. Howison wrote:
> Isn't it inevitable that any for-profit vendor, even one as high-minded as
> Sweet Mariad, which handles only premium coffees,  must have mixed motives
> when formulating samplers?  So speaketh a regular customer for SM samplers.
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:00 PM, <
> homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com> wrote:
>
>> Send Homeroast mailing list submissions to
>>          homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>          homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>          homeroast-owner at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of Homeroast digest..."
>>
>>
>> Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting "HomeRoast List" Digest
>>
>> Today's Topics:
>>
>>     1. Re: Sample packs (Seth Grandeau)
>>     2. Re: Sample packs (Brian Kamnetz)
>>     3. Re: Sample packs (Michael Rasmussen)
>>     4. Re: Sample packs (Demian Ebert)
>>     5. Re: Sample packs (Seth Grandeau)
>>     6. Re: Sample packs - Fruit Forward (Michael Rasmussen)
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 16:58:04 -0400
>> From: Seth Grandeau <grandeau at gmail.com>
>> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>>          list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>>          <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Sample packs
>> Message-ID:
>>          <CAAD6oHfSkeMTSLAhWux8zrrwtx6RrOEiN_YuC8j=
>> nohh8sTMtQ at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>>
>> This is an awesome idea!  As I understand the samplers, they're not
>> sourcing extra coffee for samplers, but putting them together from current
>> stock, so creating more options shouldn't be a logistics nightmare for SMs
>> (I know, easy for me to say...)
>>
>> Two I'd love to see are:
>> 1. Fruit Forward Sampler - I'd love to see how the different terroir can
>> drive how fruit flavors appear.  Start with a base of Kenyan and Ethiopian
>> citrus-y fruit bombs, then sprinkle in some fruit forward coffees from
>> other regions.  Currently, I focus almost entirely on Kenya and Ethiopia,
>> specifically for the bright fruitiness.  It would be fun to find some other
>> fruit forward coffees that I'm probably missing.
>> 2. Syrupy Goodness Sampler - I find that mouthfeel is something that I
>> always enjoy in coffee.  Don't get me wrong, a thinner mouthfeel can work
>> with a very bright coffee, but a syrupy thick mouthfeel goes great with
>> everything!  Let's say you have to have a "Body" score of 8.8 or higher to
>> be in this sampler.  Added bonus if this ever reconnected me with a Brazil
>> Yellow Bourbon, introduced to me by a homeroasting friend, which launched
>> my own homeroasting hobby.  It was mindblowing, and I've been chasing it
>> ever since.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've always found Sweet Maria's sample packs of four or eight chosen by
>>> them beans to be fun.
>>>
>>> I recently sent off a suggestion to them to have a "Single Origin
>>> Espresso" sample pack.
>>> In passing I mentioned I'd also like a "Dirty Cup" sampler, populated
>> with
>>> beans that rate low
>>> in the Clean Cup metric. That's probably not going to be a popular
>> choice.
>>> What's your idea or fantasy for a sample pack?
>>>
>>> --
>>>        Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
>>>      Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
>>> Smile and the world will smile with you.
>>>      ~ http://someoneoncetoldme.com/gallery/08062008
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>
>>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>> Forum</a>
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 16:36:24 -0500
>> From: Brian Kamnetz <bkamnetz at gmail.com>
>> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>>          list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>>          <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Sample packs
>> Message-ID:
>>          <CAFH=DT3-zwhwXeatJY3eswVRVWYr6kFySWSsG==ccK=
>> 5fOCwfg at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>>
>> +1 on the Fruit Forward Sampler! I'd love that. And if my order were to
>> arrive at a time when there were only, say, 5 fruity coffees, that would be
>> fine, send those and three others (letting me know which ones I should be
>> trying to get fruit flavors from - I suppose it is usually apparent from
>> the label description, but I would feel better with, say, check marks on
>> the labels of the relevant coffees).
>>
>> And I too like a dense (not dirty of course) mouth feel.
>>
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Seth Grandeau <grandeau at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This is an awesome idea!  As I understand the samplers, they're not
>>> sourcing extra coffee for samplers, but putting them together from
>> current
>>> stock, so creating more options shouldn't be a logistics nightmare for
>> SMs
>>> (I know, easy for me to say...)
>>>
>>> Two I'd love to see are:
>>> 1. Fruit Forward Sampler - I'd love to see how the different terroir can
>>> drive how fruit flavors appear.  Start with a base of Kenyan and
>> Ethiopian
>>> citrus-y fruit bombs, then sprinkle in some fruit forward coffees from
>>> other regions.  Currently, I focus almost entirely on Kenya and Ethiopia,
>>> specifically for the bright fruitiness.  It would be fun to find some
>> other
>>> fruit forward coffees that I'm probably missing.
>>> 2. Syrupy Goodness Sampler - I find that mouthfeel is something that I
>>> always enjoy in coffee.  Don't get me wrong, a thinner mouthfeel can work
>>> with a very bright coffee, but a syrupy thick mouthfeel goes great with
>>> everything!  Let's say you have to have a "Body" score of 8.8 or higher
>> to
>>> be in this sampler.  Added bonus if this ever reconnected me with a
>> Brazil
>>> Yellow Bourbon, introduced to me by a homeroasting friend, which launched
>>> my own homeroasting hobby.  It was mindblowing, and I've been chasing it
>>> ever since.
>>>
>>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I've always found Sweet Maria's sample packs of four or eight chosen by
>>>> them beans to be fun.
>>>>
>>>> I recently sent off a suggestion to them to have a "Single Origin
>>>> Espresso" sample pack.
>>>> In passing I mentioned I'd also like a "Dirty Cup" sampler, populated
>>> with
>>>> beans that rate low
>>>> in the Clean Cup metric. That's probably not going to be a popular
>>> choice.
>>>> What's your idea or fantasy for a sample pack?
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>        Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
>>>>      Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
>>>> Smile and the world will smile with you.
>>>>      ~ http://someoneoncetoldme.com/gallery/08062008
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>
>>>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>>> Forum</a>
>>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
>> Library</a>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>
>>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>> Forum</a>
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 14:49:06 -0700
>> From: Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us>
>> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>>          list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>>          <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Sample packs
>> Message-ID: <20160410214906.GA25136 at jamhome.us>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>>
>> You'll both be happy to know Sweet Maria's had a Fruit Forward sampler
>> last fall.
>> I ordered on in late November.
>>
>> Hopefully it worked out well enough for them to do it again.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 04:36:24PM -0500, Brian Kamnetz wrote:
>>> +1 on the Fruit Forward Sampler!
>>>
>>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Seth Grandeau <grandeau at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>> Two I'd love to see are:
>>>> 1. Fruit Forward Sampler - I'd love to see how the different terroir
>> can
>>>> drive how fruit flavors appear.
>> --
>>        Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
>>      Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
>> It's not a problem unless it's chronic.
>>      ~ Linda Connor
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 15:00:45 -0700
>> From: Demian Ebert <coffehound at gmail.com>
>> To: homeroast <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Sample packs
>> Message-ID:
>>          <
>> CADdqait2Tqo3ECJRTn1wQk0b2W7meC0-6BUZ65vMvUn38RDy3g at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>>
>> I'd go for a Chocolate Madness sampler designed for espresso. I really
>> enjoy it when I get a nice dark chocolate in my espresso and americanos.
>>
>> Just got the Columbian sampler and am looking forward to that one.
>>
>> Demian
>> Portland OR
>> On Apr 10, 2016 2:49 PM, "Michael Rasmussen" <michael at jamhome.us> wrote:
>>
>>> You'll both be happy to know Sweet Maria's had a Fruit Forward sampler
>>> last fall.
>>> I ordered on in late November.
>>>
>>> Hopefully it worked out well enough for them to do it again.
>>>
>>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 04:36:24PM -0500, Brian Kamnetz wrote:
>>>> +1 on the Fruit Forward Sampler!
>>>>
>>>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Seth Grandeau <grandeau at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>>> Two I'd love to see are:
>>>>> 1. Fruit Forward Sampler - I'd love to see how the different terroir
>>> can
>>>>> drive how fruit flavors appear.
>>> --
>>>        Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
>>>      Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
>>> It's not a problem unless it's chronic.
>>>      ~ Linda Connor
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>
>>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>> Forum</a>
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 18:37:26 -0400
>> From: Seth Grandeau <grandeau at gmail.com>
>> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>>          list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>>          <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Sample packs
>> Message-ID:
>>          <
>> CAAD6oHejVhi4t+HWEFdA45MGWpsP3aPHkz7ZrUQqSuX33a5Xgw at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>>
>> "You'll both be happy to know Sweet Maria's had a Fruit Forward sampler
>> last fall.
>> I ordered on in late November."
>>
>> Michael, I completely missed that!  Do you recall what they included?
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Demian Ebert <coffehound at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd go for a Chocolate Madness sampler designed for espresso. I really
>>> enjoy it when I get a nice dark chocolate in my espresso and americanos.
>>>
>>> Just got the Columbian sampler and am looking forward to that one.
>>>
>>> Demian
>>> Portland OR
>>> On Apr 10, 2016 2:49 PM, "Michael Rasmussen" <michael at jamhome.us> wrote:
>>>
>>>> You'll both be happy to know Sweet Maria's had a Fruit Forward sampler
>>>> last fall.
>>>> I ordered on in late November.
>>>>
>>>> Hopefully it worked out well enough for them to do it again.
>>>>
>>>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 04:36:24PM -0500, Brian Kamnetz wrote:
>>>>> +1 on the Fruit Forward Sampler!
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Seth Grandeau <grandeau at gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>>> Two I'd love to see are:
>>>>>> 1. Fruit Forward Sampler - I'd love to see how the different
>> terroir
>>>> can
>>>>>> drive how fruit flavors appear.
>>>> --
>>>>        Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
>>>>      Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
>>>> It's not a problem unless it's chronic.
>>>>      ~ Linda Connor
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>>
>>>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>>> Forum</a>
>>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
>> Library</a>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>>
>>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>> Forum</a>
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
>>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 6
>> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 21:07:12 -0700
>> From: Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us>
>> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>>          list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>>          <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Sample packs - Fruit Forward
>> Message-ID: <20160411040712.GA27094 at jamhome.us>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 06:37:26PM -0400, Seth Grandeau wrote:
>>> "You'll both be happy to know Sweet Maria's had a Fruit Forward sampler
>>> last fall.
>>> I ordered on in late November."
>>>
>>> Michael, I completely missed that!  Do you recall what they included?
>> Perhaps more important - what is currently available that has
>> "fruit-forward" in the description?
>>
>>      Costa Rica La Union Yellow Honey
>>      Ethiopia Misraq Harar SWP Decaf
>>      Guatemala Proyecto Xinabajul - Martinez
>>      Sweet Maria's Moka Kadir Blend
>>      weet Maria's Ethiopiques Blend
>>
>> Having said that,  shame on me for not recording the collection when it
>> arrived.  Based on the
>> label descriptions some of them were:
>>
>>      Colombia Organic  Planadas Montalvo
>>      Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Baraka Buna
>>      Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Dry Process - Aricha
>>      Ethiopia Dry Process Yirg Adado Sulula
>>      Guatemala Cuilco Villatoro - Castillo Microlot
>>      Kenya Nyeri Ichuga AB
>>      Yemen  Mokha Ismaili
>>
>> --
>>        Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
>>      Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
>> Don?t let the noise of other?s opinions drown out your own inner voice.
>>      ~ Steve Jobs
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Subject: Digest Footer
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> End of Homeroast Digest, Vol 99, Issue 9
>> ****************************************
>>
>
>


---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus




More information about the Homeroast mailing list