[Homeroast] Behmor 1600+ on order...

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Fri Oct 9 07:34:32 CDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 05:59:27AM -0400, Dennis True wrote:
> My question is since I skipped over the original 1600 and I am going to the
> 1600+ what are the tips/tricks I need to know so I can get the most out of
> it?

Specifically about using the manual mode that the "plus" version adds:

http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6761

And of course aside from the ruin-your-roast alarm & button press, it
works just the same as the non-plus model if you don't command it into
manual mode.  Oh, wait: the display of the two sensors (sidewall and
exhaust) is now documented, and some attempt is made to convert the raw
numbers into degrees.  An IMO pointless exercise, since neither sensor
is more than loosely attached to the bean temperature, and that only up
to a point.

The one other thing I'd add is that IMO the advice to begin with
quarter pound batches is the one really bad suggestion Behmor has ever
made.  I'm not saying you can't get good results, but I'd call really
good quarter pound results an intermediate skill.  Half pound is much
safer - the stock programs should allow enough time to get to a
drinkable cup, and it's less prone to go straight from first crack to
vienna (though some beans try harder, but I'm sure you know about that
already).

Lots more discussion in that forum, but the plus model's manual mode
does make a lot of the ad-hoc cheats, lies and tricks unnecessary.

--
Our government ... teaches the whole people by its example.
If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt