[Homeroast] Behmor 1600 plus 2 Pound Roast

Mark Jones markjones420 at rcn.com
Thu Nov 5 10:21:10 CST 2015

Hi Friends!

I don't post very often, but I felt that I had to tell you all of a discovery that has made it simple to do large roasts in my Behmor 1600.  I had been roasting in the 1600 for a couple years. And when the 1600 Plus upgrade came out, I made the upgrade.  I enjoyed the temperature readings, the heating over-rides (1 through 5) and the drum speed adjustment.  But that pesky "C", or "first crack" timer reset button gave me fits. I hit it a couple times by mistake. And suddenly my 8 ounce roast with 10 minutes left to go on the timer, went to 3 minutes and 10 seconds (and counting).  What a disaster.  Going right to cool and restarting my roast again allowed me to salvage the beans to at least a drinkable level of roast. But I had to watch it like a hawk.

Well, recently (within the last 2 months)  I was roasting my usual 8 ounces of Columbian Supremo.  I am one of those people that had discovered that 1 pound roasts were basically out of the range of the roaster's regular settings. So I stuck to 8 ounces.  But during my enjoyable pressings of the "A"  "B" and "D" button and using the temp override buttons during the last minute of the roast, I hit the "C" button and the timer reset to 3 minutes and 10 seconds. I suddenly had extra time!  Not that I needed it at that point, but I had a "Eureka" moment.  Using the "C" button, I might just be able to extend roast times to however long I need.

Over the next several roasts, I began increasing the bean weights. 10, 12, 16, 24, 28, and then the magical 32 ounce (2 pound) roast that I just did.  The results have been wonderful.  Todays 2 pound roast in a beautiful Full City ++ roast.  Total time from start to finish (1 pound, start - to pressing cool)  was 39 minutes. I started the roast and set my 13 minute "deadman switch" timer to hit the start button again at 4:30. Then, after that, I hit the "C" button each time the timer reached 1 minute to go. And the timer reset to 3 minutes 10 seconds. And during these intervals I continued to play with the "A"  "B" and "D" buttons as well as the heater override buttons.

So, to me at least, it looks like this "C" button allows for the kind of control we've wanted. Combined with the temperature buttons, the drum speed control, and the temperature indicator buttons "A and B"   I have been paying attention more closely that ever before to the roasting cycle.  After the deadman timer, I never leave the roaster until I decide when the roast is done to my liking.  I'm not sure the Behmor people meant the "C" button to be used this way, and I hope they don't change how it functions, but for me, the Behmor came of age and works perfectly.  Not, instead of having to do four 8 ounce (sometimes I'd try 10 ounces, but it was close) roasts to fill my canister, including cooling and cleaning after each 8 ounces, I can do just one 32 ounce batch and get it just right for my tastes.  My wife loves it too.

Happy Behmor 1600 Plus roasting.

Mark Jones