[Homeroast] For those of you too impatient to wait for roasted beans to rest ...

Clark Barclay pedestriancoffee at gmail.com
Thu May 7 22:17:04 CDT 2015

We seems to be on the same path Jon. I also recently graduated from my
whirly pop to the behmor, but still use the whirly from time to time for
really small batches. I've heard of even professional roasteries using a
whirly for sample roasts.
But, that Ikawa looks pretty slick. Did you find out the cost?
I'm sure it's cheaper than those little Probats that I see everywhere.

- Clark

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Jon Currey <jon.currey at pobox.com> wrote:

> I recently moved up from Whirley Pop to Behmor 1600 Plus, and am enjoying
> the big improvement in my roasts. I've been following the Ikawa project on
> Kickstarter and went back and forth on whether to wait for it to become
> available. The level of feedback and control over the temperature profile
> looks like it could really help my ongoing education about roasting. But
> yes, I would use a series of storage canisters, to let each roast rest for
> 2-3 days before drinking.
>
> These guys have already delivered a big-brother version of this machine (
> http://www.ikawacoffee.com/professional/), so hopefully this will ship.
> It's amazing how many Kickstarter projects fail.
>
> Is this the roast and grind project people are thinking of?
>
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jimguldi/worlds-first-roast-grind-brew-coffee-machine/posts/1114218
> .
> Apparently they are 'back on track' to deliver, nearly 18 months after they
> took the money and with no delivery date promised. (Their machine 'only'
> has 35 plastic parts, and will be designed to work at least 3000 times. Oy!
> I wonder how many times me La Pavoni has been used in its 41 year life...)
> The Ikawa machine looks to be a lot better made.
>
> Jon.
>

> On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 7:08 PM, Martin Maney <maney at two14.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 08:33:31AM -0700, Frank Parth wrote:
> > > There's a campaign on the Kickstarter site for a new roaster that
> > > immediately brews your coffee as soon as you roast it.
> >
> > No, this is just a roaster, but I do seem to recall a roast-to-brew
> > machine, possibly on kickstarter, in the vicinity of a year ago, maybe?
> > Don't seem to have ever heard anything more about that one?
> >
> > --
> > If I had charged one dollar for Samba, it would have never been
> successful.
> > The way I was doing stuff was not about money, and I am not at all
> > resentful
> > of companies that have made money from Samba. At the same time, if they
> all
> > went away, we would still have a great community to work on stuff. I
> think
> > of the last year or two as being the biggest private investment in public
> > works in decades.  -- Andrew Tridgell, c. 2001

> Forum</a>

*Pedestrian*
instagram.com/pedestriancoffee
soundcloud.com/pedestriancoffee