[Homeroast] Question about a Gene Cafe

RONALD.DOEBKE at FRONTIER.COM RONALD.DOEBKE at FRONTIER.COM
Sun May 3 13:03:41 CDT 2015

Hi all ........ My Gene Café roast profile is no more than this ...........
Pre-heat drum to 300 degrees and then add one cup beans. Start roaster from
the beginning and set time beyond roasting time at 20 minutes. Set temp. at
430 degrees. Now set an alarm timer for 13 minutes.  Start watching closely
at 13 minutes. Beans are turning brown and chaff is well started. Smoke is
starting to build. Now hit the cool down button and beans will coast a bit
more into a medium roast. This is a good start and then you can shorten of
lengthen. I have found the most flavor is just after first crack. We have
tried drip methods but prefer our Aero-Press. We use only Sweet Maria's
coffee. We stay away from any other coffee because there are so many vendors
dumping bad tasting coffee from who knows where.

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Parth
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2015 9:13 AM
To: Marias Sweet
Subject: [Homeroast] Question about a Gene Cafe

About 5 years ago I got a friend of mine who lives in the British Virgin
Islands interesting in coffee roasting. He bought a Gene Cafe and was very
happy with it until recently.

I got this e-mail from him this morning and don't know what advice to offer
since I don't use a GC any more myself.

Hi Frank,
We have a coffee question for you... and you guys may need to organize an
emergency trip down here to answer it.  Our coffee is no longer... "tasty!"
It seems to have lost it's brightness.  Taste more like sludge!  The grind
is good.  Still drip filtering it.  In short, doing everything the same!
Could it be that our roaster is just no longer doing the job?  The time and
temperature is the same... unless the temperature is not what it says it is!
Give us some thoughts oh mighty coffee connoisseur!

Can anyone offer advice on what his problem might be?

If we can't fix it over e-mail,  we'll have to plan a trip down to the BVI
to deal with this in person.

Frank Parth