[Homeroast] Question about a Gene Cafe

Phil Palmintere phil.palmintere at gmail.com
Sun May 3 11:41:07 CDT 2015

Hmmmm.... I have two Gene Cafes (one here in Las Vegas, another in Park
City).  Both locations are quite dry compared to the BVI, of course.  My
experiences might be different because of that humidity difference.

A few questions for your friend with the Gene Café...

What weight of beans does he typically roast?  I typically weigh out 225 to
230 grams of greens.

Does he pre-heat his roaster?  Say, 5 minutes with no beans, stop it, add
beans, then begin?

Does he heat the bean mass for, say, 5 minutes at about 300 degrees F?  Or
does he launch straight into the roast?

Does he use a stepped roasting profile such as X minutes at 456, Y minutes
at 472, etc etc -- or does he just turn the temp to max & let it rip?

How long does it typically take from the beginning of the roast until 1st
crack?

How does he cool the beans - with the cooling cycle, or does he dump beans
on a heat sink such as a cold metal pan?

I replaced the heating element in one of my two Genes; I'm not sure I
noticed that much of a difference afterwards.

--Phil