[Homeroast] Question about a Gene Cafe

Frank Parth frank at fparth.com
Sun May 3 11:13:22 CDT 2015

About 5 years ago I got a friend of mine who lives in the British Virgin Islands interesting in coffee roasting. He bought a Gene Cafe and was very happy with it until recently.

I got this e-mail from him this morning and don't know what advice to offer since I don't use a GC any more myself.

Hi Frank,
We have a coffee question for you... and you guys may need to organize an emergency trip down here to answer it.  Our coffee is no longer... "tasty!"  It seems to have lost it's brightness.  Taste more like sludge!  The grind is good.  Still drip filtering it.  In short, doing everything the same!  Could it be that our roaster is just no longer doing the job?  The time and temperature is the same... unless the temperature is not what it says it is!  Give us some thoughts oh mighty coffee connoisseur!

Can anyone offer advice on what his problem might be?

If we can't fix it over e-mail,  we'll have to plan a trip down to the BVI to deal with this in person.

Frank Parth