[Homeroast] Europe

Sandy Andina sandraandina at me.com
Sat May 2 19:59:27 CDT 2015

Dunno about London, Munich & Prague—but I recently returned from 3 days each in Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla. Just me—no roomie. Two of the hotels lacked coffee machines (I knew that going in from Travel Advisor, and that our Barcelona hotel had Nespresso machines and charged one euro per capsule, so I brought along a few of my own capsules and bought another sleeve there—the euro’s at par with the dollar, and they were cheaper at the Nespresso Boutique than even here—about 40 cents per cup!). So I roasted about half a pound (the last of my La Gesha) and packed a mini hand-grinder, dual-voltage travel kettle (came with cups & spoons that stored inside) and an AeroPress with reusable filter. I didn’t bring the funnel for the AP, which made brewing sort of a dicey proposition as the travel kettle’s cups were plastic with a top diameter just about the size of the AP filter-holder’s opening. The whole shebang was light enough that the funnel wouldn’t have made a weight difference.  I returned home with half my coffee intact.

Check Travel Advisor for your intended hotels’ amenities, double-check with the hotels, and plan accordingly. Not sure how cheap a whirley grinder is over there, but I will tell you that any kind of grinder is superior to drinking preground (which I had to do in Vegas—our room had a full-size coffeemaker with those disgusting filter-packs, so I had to bite the bullet and buy half a pound from Starbucks downstairs and have them grind it).  At least two cities on your itinerary—Munich & Prague—have a robust and long-standing coffehouse/patisserie culture (albeit not “third wave”), so you might want to buy some locally-roasted beans while you’re there.  And it’s no longer true that you can’t get a good cup of coffee in London: even as far back as ’91, the flat we rented for a week had an electric kettle and a 1-liter French press…..and Harrod’s Food Hall down the street.  If you find yourself in a major Scandinavian city, however, throw yourselves on the mercy of the local baristas, who are third-wave-and-beyond.

If you find yourself in Madrid at the Westin Palace, know that one cup of room-service coffee per person comes free with the room…but it’s unlimited at the free breakfast buffet. (But I’m the kind of person who needs coffee before she can pick up the phone and order coffee).