[Homeroast] Pod Capsules

Barbara C. Greenspon lilysownahmah at greensponassociates.com
Wed Mar 25 08:10:16 CDT 2015

Well, I finally have to toss in my 2 cents worth!

I, like you, Sandy, have an Andreja Premium along with all drip, vacuum, stovetop devices.  For ever, my  Andreja was by far my favorite.  A year ago, my son inlaw, who works in retail and sells every level of coffee device at his shop, brought me a Bunn Trifecta.  I had read some of Tom’s favorable comments, and I wanted to see what it could do.

Much to my surprise (and my husband’s too), we love it.  We now use it daily, many times, changing the settings according to what we are brewing.  No, it doesn’t do espresso, so it doesn’t compare in that way, but for everything else, its truly superb,  For the last four years, we’ve taken a l-o-n-g and leisurely road trip, from Minneapolis, to Nova Scotia, each summer, and we typically carry all our coffee equipment, including grinder, in each night.  For the previous years, we’d just done a quick pour over to make a pot for us each morning before we set out.  Last year, we brought our trifecta in with us, and it was fantastic.  It was fun, easy, quick clean up (wipe three spots), and only once used a K-cup in a hotel when I couldn’t find my decaf in the evening.  the ease of the machine was great.  The coffee wasn’t.  But for a long time, my daughter used my homeroast in her Nespresso set up, and, after lots of tinkering/adjusting amounts, etc., it was more than acceptable, but it couldn’t hold a candle to any of our methods.  She’s progressed to loftier methods, and now I have to roast more!  Which I love.

(And, by the way, we’ve also carried our Hottop to Nova Scotia and roasted on deck of our cottage, at the ocean.  We’re kind of dedicated and/or nuts.)

I don’t think my husband has ever pulled a shot on any of my lovely espresso makers. That’s not to say he didn’t do all the maintenance past daily normal stuff and regular cleaning.  He must have taken the Andreja apart 5 times, with the help of the folks at Chris coffee (thru email).  It works as well as the day we got it.  But any of the work with the coffee itself was mine.  He’s a home brewer, with his own little brewery for the last twelve years.  That was his, coffee mine.  Fun split for great beverages.   But, during several weeks while I was ill a couple of months ago, he began to use the Trifecta.  I’m still the primary barista, but only by a slim bit!  I’m still the roaster though.

I’ve learned so much from this list.  And one thing is that is continuously reinforced is we all have different tastes, and I say thank goodness.  As a psychotherapist, I’ve always said something like “thank goodness we are all different.  Two of any of us wouldn’t work out to well for us or the world.”  And I really believe that.

But here, there’s one thing we all do have in common, and that love of our home roasting is a neat and wonderful thing.

And hi to everyone!