[Homeroast] Pod Capsules

Sandy Andina sandraandina at me.com
Mon Mar 23 21:45:06 CDT 2015

Moreover, K-cups are not the same as "pods." The latter are always insipid, because the paper containing them cannot prevent staling because they're porous, whereas the K-cup is hermetically sealed until pierced.  I've found pod machines, whether Senseo or its competitor, to be "meh." The only pods worth drinking at all are the sealed espresso pods, and they don't hold a candle to Nespresso capsules. (K-cups can't produce crema). I use them with a Handpresso when I'm staying at a place with no coffeemaker and no reasonable room service. (Haven't found a manual travel grinder yet--whether Hario or Turkish--that yields results or even amounts commensurate with the elbow grease to use them--and electrics are too big and heavy to fly with).
> On Mar 23, 2015, at 8:48 PM, Seth Grandeau <grandeau at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I know the theory, that pods "should" be better.  But in real life, I find
> the pods to be, at best, flat, and at worst, weak and thin.  I've never had
> a cup that I thought was good.  I will take pre-ground starbucks over pods,
> hands down.
>
> But, in any case, no one is going to use pods as a stepping stone to really
> high quality coffee.  Pods are a stepping stone to instant.

Peace & Song,
Sandy Andina
www.sandyandina.com