[Homeroast] Pod Capsules

Sandy Andina sandraandina at me.com
Mon Mar 23 17:58:14 CDT 2015

And I am going to call the opposite. Pre-ground packaged drip is good, if at all, only for the first pot or two. So much of the volatile aromas escape in the gas when you tear open the one-way-valve bag or open the can (that iconic "whoosh" we remember from our childhoods).  Though preground coffee in cans and in capsules is vacuum-packed and hermetically sealed no matter the size of the container (be it can, sealed bag, or capsule), in a capsule you get to enjoy the full flavor of that first cup every single time. That can or bag of preground? It's stale by an hour or two (or earlier) after you've opened it.  And I've spent decades in offices with both Keurig brewers and the communal pot or urn with the ubiquitous can of coffee.

Are capsules as fresh as coffee brewed cup-by-cup or even pot-by-pot from whole-bean coffee roasted no earlier than a week or two before use and freshly ground for each brewing session? Of course not--and homeroasted beans, properly stored and ground at their peak trump them all.  But I'll take a K-cup packed 6 months earlier over a cup from the second or later pot brewed from a can of Chock Full O'Nuts or a bag of preground Bustelo, Starbucks or even Peet's or Lavazza--each time, any time.
> On Mar 23, 2015, at 5:29 PM, Seth Grandeau <grandeau at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "but they actually taste markedly better than pre-ground packaged drip
> coffee"
>
> I'm going to call shenanigans on this.  I think the pod
> taste noticeably worse than the pre-ground packaged drip coffee, if for no
> other reason then the weak, thin cups of coffee they make.  I miss the days
> of having the big pot of coffee at work.  Yes, it occasionally burned, and
> it sucked if the last guy didn't put on a new pot, but when the coffee was
> freshly made, it was decent.
>
> Pods are all about convenience and choice, not taste.  I don't judge, I
> just call it like I see it.  And, I don't see people going from pods to
> fresh ground coffee, I see them going the other way.
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Paul <middle.aged.kid at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> True, pods are wasteful and fulfill the needs of instant gratification,
>> but they actually taste markedly better than pre-ground packaged drip
>> coffee. That is why I believe they are so popular.  I continue to hope that
>> pods are just the first step for many people towards an ever-growing coffee
>> Renaissance in America.  And I will continue to preach the gospel of good
>> coffee and convert non-believers one cup at a time.
>> Paul Gheer
Peace & Song,
Sandy Andina
www.sandyandina.com