[Homeroast] Pod Capsules and the Keurig

Sandy Andina sandraandina at me.com
Mon Mar 23 16:18:03 CDT 2015

Key to using your own beans in the "My K-Cup" refillable pod (comes with most of the machines and works better than aftermarket ones) is not to grind too finely or overfill. Grind finer than for Aeropress and coarser than for paper-filter drip or Hario (gold-mesh-filter grind is about right), and fill only up to the bottom edge of the top plastic "frame" on the basket--and don't tamp. Otherwise, the pour will be excruciatingly slow and may even clog or stall the machine.

FWIW, I use a sink-side compost canister--compost the grounds and paper-filter-diskette from the capsule, put the foil into the aluminum recycle bin (which I empty into a plastic bag and hang on a nail on my garage for the scavengers who come through my alley) and just toss the plastic cup (used to put it into the plastics recycle bin till I found out Chicago won't accept it). Check your local recycling website--your community might accept a wider variety of plastics.  My (lazy) family prefers disposable K-cups to the Hario and espresso methods I use (I also recycle Nespresso capsules via their proprietary program).  You can compensate for the lack of a compost bin at your office by using freezer Ziplocs and taking them home periodically to empty, wash and reuse them.