[Homeroast] Pod Capsules and the Keurig

Mike Davis mldavis2 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 23 14:40:02 CDT 2015

The main reason I hear from people using the Keurig is speed and
convenience.  Using reusable pods sounds great, but it negates a lot of
the reason for using the thing in the first place.  You have to grind
coffee to put in them which can be tricky with the tiny pods, and you
have to clean them out afterwards.  I suspect that's why most people
just keep buying the plastic pods and filling up the land fills with
them, not to mention all the "fancy" flavored coffee you can find being
sold by everyone and his brother.

My morning routine is super-simple and just as quick.  Yes, I do have to
roast my coffee every few days and that takes time.  But in the morning,
I put the kettle on to boil, grind my coffee and weigh it out into my
Aeropress.  Pour, stir and wait 3 minutes, press and top off with hot
water.  Cleanup takes about 30 seconds or less at the sink - rinse the
cap and stainless steel filter under the faucet, pop the puck out into
the trash and I'm finished.

---