[Homeroast] Pod Capsules

Frank Parth fparth at icloud.com
Mon Mar 23 12:57:55 CDT 2015

> On Mar 22, 2015, at 1:29 PM, Jason Brooks <brookswv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have seen easy defeat of the DRM on the Keurig 2.0. If you do a youtube
> search, they should pop up. All you need is one valid k cup for a Keurig
> 2.0 machine.
>
> Jason

This is not an uncommon approach to retailing.

The economics of the disposable pods are the same as for printer toner cartridges. The printer itself is sold below cost and the profits are made with disposable ink cartridges sold at a much higher price than they cost to manufacture. Same thing with razor blades. The handles themselves are cheap, but the profit is made up with disposable blades which are sold at a high profit margin. (That's why I haven't shaved since college, back in 1969. Trimmed, yes, shaved, no)

And the response to disposable pods is the same as we've seen with aftermarket printer cartridges that can be refilled. The OEMs hate them because they reduce profit, but it's much better for the environment to reuse something instead of tossing it.

Frank Parth