[Homeroast] Pod Capsules

Steve Jacobs steve.jacobs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 13:17:57 CDT 2015

And to address Paul's point even more, I've been home roasting coffee for a
couple of years and have tried the refillable pods with my home roasted
coffee. It tastes far better than the store-bought stuff, but is still
weaker than I like.

I've evolved my brewing method quite a bit and use a hybrid of a French
press style steeping period and a drip-cone to make sure I don't get grit
and gunk in my coffee.

I usually zap two cups of brewing water in the microwave for 3:10 (205F),
then stir 1/3 cup of freshly ground beans and steep for 6 minutes. Once
it's reached the end of the steeping period, I pour it through a #4 filter
cone directly into my mug. It's rich, strong and overall fantastic. It also
cleans up quickly. I used to get weird looks in the pantry at work, but
everyone who's tried that method loves the result.