[Homeroast] Behmor Noob

Steve Jacobs steve.jacobs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 18:30:42 CDT 2015

Before I added the "Plus" controller to my Behmore 1600, I had to preheat
one pound batches a few minutes then extend the cycle to maximum. Even
then, it wouldn't always get deep enough into the second crack to be where
I like it, especially if it was cold outdoors (because of the smoke, I
always roast out on our screened in porch).

If it was just starting second crack when it started the cooling cycle,
I've found that I could hit "off", let the crack keep going a bit, then
press "cool" and let it run a few seconds to stir the beans and keep going
with that pattern until it got where I liked it.

The upgraded roaster lets me run the heat profile I like and alway get deep
enough into second crack regardless of the outdoor temperature. I'm also
really happy with the longevity of the Behmore. I've roasted over a hundred
one pound batches with no trouble whatsoever.

Steve