[Homeroast] Behmor Noob

Howard B howardbandy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 12:29:17 CDT 2015

Greetings --

I, too, am a newbie to Behmor 1600.  I got mine a couple of months ago and
have used it for about 15 roasts.  I came to the Behmor after using a
FreshRoast 500 for several years and about 800 roasts.  I have a
thermocouple and digital display in the Freshroast, and I love the control
over temperature and roast profile.  Between wanting to roast larger
batches and the Freshroast showing signs of aging, I bought a Behmor.  I
still use the Freshroast for roasting decaf, which I find to be much
fussier than unprocessed beans.

I began Behmor roasts at 115 grams, as suggested.  My favorite beans are
Guatemala (SHB) -- Huehue and Gesha are particularly good.  My preferred
darkness is City or barely darker.  My first roasts were OK -- better than
beans from the high-end food market but not as good as from the
Freshroast.  I missed the control available with the Freshroast.  For one
roast I intended to go well beyond City to learn what the sound and smell
of Full City would be.  The roast progressed so fast, and the temperature
rose so fast, after City that I nearly had flames.  There was very little
time between the final few pops of first crack and the first few of second
crack.  The batch was ruined.

I was a little hesitant about increasing batch size, but my results
improved significantly when I did.  Most of my roasts are now 460 grams.
Settings "A", "P1", "1 pound."  When the Start button is pushed, the clock
reads 18:00.  I immediately add eight "+", giving 20:00 minutes.  The
failsafe occurs at 6:30.  Beans begin to turn tan shortly after.  The very
first pop usually occurs somewhere in the range of 0:60 to 0:40 on the
countdown clock.  The tenth pop, which I use to mark the beginning of first
crack, happens very near 0:05, at which time I press "C" to initiate
Rosetta Stone.  If the tenth pop has not occurred by 0:05, I press "C" at
0:05 anyway and the tenth pop is always within a second or two after that.

Rosetta Stone sets the clock to 3:10, and first crack is underway.  I wait
1 minute 30 seconds from the start of first crack -- until the clock shows
1:40 -- then press "Cool".  The beans are still cracking when I press cool,
and that continues for a few seconds more.  After the cool cycle is
complete, I dump the beans from the drum onto a large baking sheet and stir
and inspect until they are at room temperature, then into a storage jar.
Inspection is easy -- I rarely find bad beans in Sweet Maria's coffee.
Pressing cool while first crack has not yet finished has not resulted in
un-roasted beans.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Howard