[Homeroast] Winter Roasting

Howard B howardbandy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 19:49:58 CST 2015

Hi John --

Good posting.  Thanks.

I began with a Fresh Roast 500, used it for two years and about 800 roasts,
all of which were 115 grams green, resulting in about 100 grams roasted.
My main brewing is a one liter press pot, with a charge of 56 grams roasted
beans.  I would brew one pot each day, sometimes two.  I roasted two or
three batches about every third or fourth day.  My Fresh Roast began
showing signs of age, so I purchased a Behmor 1600 Plus from Sweet Marias
and have been using it for a few months.  It has been working well, and I
enjoy being able to roast 230 gram or 460 gram batches.  Quality on these
(except for decaf) has been excellent -- as good as the Fresh Roast.

I love the control I get with the Fresh Roast by using the temperature
control, and particularly the fan speed.  I follow the same procedures you
describe, with the modification that I hold the temperature ( measured by
thermocouple and digital readout) at about 405oF for about one minute
before letting the temperature rise into crack.  I still use it for
roasting decaf, where the beans are more sensitive than the controls on the
Behmor can handle -- at least at my skill level.

I roast in the garage.  Our whole neighborhood knows when I am roasting,
and everyone tells me they enjoy the aroma.

A few months ago we bought roasted beans from the websites of several of
the country's top roasters.  Top was based on blind cupping scores reported
in the coffee forums.  Some were quite expensive, others not so.  We did
side-by-side comparisons of our own roasts with the award winners, and were
satisfied that our coffee would easily have placed in the top ten.  Home
roasting rules!

Best,
Howard