[Homeroast] Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel feature on coffee roasting danger

Greg Kerns gregjkerns at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:16:00 CDT 2015

Interesting article and for what it worth, anything that burns gives off
potentially harmful fumes and should be filtered or vented - just seems like
common sense.  The one thing the article does not address is the volume of
coffee roasted, which for commercial roasters is several hundred times what
we as home roasters would encounter.

Given that most of us take precautions and either roast outside or provide
some ventilation and we roast smaller amounts, this is most likely not a
concern for us or if it is, would we be willing to give up our ability to
roast our own?

The next thing you know, CA will begin to cover this on prop 65 and Sweet
Marias will need to start putting warning labels on their shipments ;)