[Homeroast] Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel feature on coffee roasting danger

Archeobob archeobob at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 24 17:29:20 CDT 2015

Interesting article, but of FUD going on there -

Unless I misread it, only the workers who had added the diacetyl to the
beans prior to grinding as part of the flavoring process may have been
affected. Those of us roasting outside, or in a garage with doors open &
fans running likely will suffer more from the occasional bean burn than from
lung issues. Of course if you're huffing the smoke, as was reportedly
happening with the man who developed lung disease from diacetyl added to
microwave popcorn, then all bets off.

Humans have been roasting coffee for hundreds of years, I don't see mass die
offs happening in historical times.

I'll let the scientific types chime in now.

Bob