[Homeroast] Boot Coffee

ricky carter rickylc99 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 13:05:05 CDT 2015

ah, Always humble!

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is greatly appreciated.

BTW, USRC makes all their roasters in many configs, I picked up a show
special that had cooling fan but a vane to control air flow with a constant
air speed fan (two fans, one for cooling one for roast chamber air flow).
It would be really really nice to have a continuous control fan for roast
air flow !

I think my post 1st dev times are good, very similar to yours, with the
exception of very light roasts, they may still need some work.

 I need tweaking in the dry and ramp stage.  I was getting real nice body
and sweetness with dry of around 5:20 to 5:45 and ramp around 4:00 to 4:45.
I'm guessing smaller batch size accounts for some of the diff here too.

 Of course all of the timings depend on how you "call it" and there is
variability to that.

Shortening both by approx 15-20% is leaving some mid range flavors on the
table.  Tweak, Taste, Tweak! and iterate forever! :)

To bring this back to the original thread, how can you use these milestones
to improve technique and timings? can they be queues for BTU input in such
a way as to improve roasts?

I remember being at this stage with the Quest, in the beginning it was all
formulaic, go by the book, then the gradual switch to listening to the bean
not the timer or temp probe.  I'm at that stage with the USRC now and
attempting to meld the two into true craft.

I also remember the beginning of my roasting experience when the valuable
info you just posted would have frustrated me to no end, I was looking for
a formula. not that what you posted doesn't fall into that category, but
the range is so wide!  LOL!

Now I see the continuum, the dance, the constant flux of variable
parameters are no longer frustrating, they are beautiful.