[Homeroast] Boot Coffee

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Wed Jul 29 11:37:29 CDT 2015

To be clear I never said anything about having this thing called roasting
coffee "Mastered"! While I've been roasting 15 or 16 years (and I'm still
only "half-baked" lol) and roasting on my USRC 3k going on 8 years around 60
Tons greens roasted on it so far I really just fake it pretty good :-). I'm
told my roasts are excellent, been voted "Best Coffee in Clark County"
multiple years running, yet by no means consider myself an expert even
though others may say I am.

Yes I control air flow 100% with variable fan speed. I had my 3k custom
build with double sized fan motor so I could always have the damper in bean
cooling position enabling roasting next batch while batch is cooling. (USRC
3k has only one fan while 5k and larger separate cooling fan) For
consistency I never move the damper and 1st batch of the day load the
cooling tray with old beans so start of roast air flow consistent 1st batch
versus later batches.

I wouldn't say you need to change your charge weight if that's the size
batches you need. Controlling a smaller batch is just different than a large
batch. Though yes easier to "over control" hence over compensate/shoot a
desired change with a small batch. But in fact good control on these
oversized large batches I do is actually harder than smaller batches.

A typical batch for me would be start of 1st 10:30 to 12 minutes depending
on bean etc., finish stage usually ~2:30 many 3 to 3:30 start of 1st to end
of roast total roast times 13:30 to 15:30. Light roasts extremely important
to have enough start of 1st to end of roast development time or risk thin
body, lack of sweetness and/or grassy. Of course not too much finish stretch
or risk flattening the acidity! Ah such a balancing act. And every bean is
different. And for every "rule" there's an exception to the rule!

Take good notes and remember there are no failures, just learning
experiences.

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/