[Homeroast] Boot Coffee

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Wed Jul 29 08:56:31 CDT 2015

Ricky, sounds like your USRC 3k reads about like mine. Bean mass I estimate
reads ~20f lower than real based on start of 1st and start of 2nd temp
displayed readings. (FWIW very few roasts I do ever see 2nd)  I can't really
comment on the applied flame % because my standard batch sizes are to yield
6lb which depending on bean and roast is 6.9 to 7.1 charge weight.
Consequently my charge temp is substantially higher than yours anywhere from
displayed 450-490f environment. Also because of large batch size virtually
all roasts I'm starting with 100% flame on charge. I use both flame and
air-flow to hit the brakes approaching 1st. FWIW I have PLC controller with
touch screen both flame and air variable 0-100%. Some roasts/beans I'll
actually keep flame 100% the entire roast and only vary air.  Again this is
because I'm running the USRC at its max batch (and then some) considering
3k=6.6lb and all my charge weights are higher! Really gotta anticipate
needed ramp change with the (relatively) larger bean mass! On the rare
occasion I do a smaller batch, even just a lb less charge, greatly changes
the whole ball game. And a half size batch like you're running hugely
different and of course much more responsive to applied heat and air
changes.

FWIW generally speaking ~5min is my target to hit bean mass ~300f (real,
280f displayed).

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/