[Homeroast] Boot Coffee

ricky carter rickylc99 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 22:07:04 CDT 2015

it's funny to me that the things i have taken away from this are only
tangentially related to the "milestones" . I have know and used them for a
long time, but perhaps not to the fullest extent or with sufficient
understanding.

nope, what stood out to me was the btu chart under the roast curve 80% /60%
/30% /40% i've been trying to wrap my head around and match my experience
up to that.in relation to the timing of the changes.

Trying to understand how the 80% bTU is considered, actual 80% of the max
btu you would use?  or combination of residual drum heat plus some level of
BTU application?

It appears he has the cutback to 60% somewhere around the grass stage with
a cut back to 30% just entering first crack.  Then some type of bump at the
finish  to keep from stalling if necessary?

>From what I have always seen and practiced the beginning of the roast
should see very low heat application, using mostly residual drum heat to
dry beans with a little heat after turning if it slows down too much to hit
your target time for end of dry, then a max heat application to Ramp to
first.

The chart shows something completely different.

I tried this out and  the roasts were extraordinarly bright and aromatic
the first 3-4 days, but have now settled down some and seem quite nice.

the effect was to cut a good 30 to 45 seconds off of the dry phase, where
before I was running approx 5:25 to 5:45 for dy, I am seeing end of dry @
around 4:50 to 5:00 with this heat application and a ramp going from around
4 minutes to closer to 3:15 to 3:30. finish time remain approx the same.

Test roasts were run on USRC 3 kilo, charge temp of somewhere around 390
(temp guage actually reads lower, offset some unknowable amount) and half
batch 1500 gram charge.

thoughts?