[Homeroast] Thanks for Behmor-garage advice

Howard B howardbandy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 12:08:33 CST 2015

Hi Brian --

I used a FreshRoast for two years, 800 roasts.  I roasted in the garage.
In winter, the temperature dropped to the mid 30s and low 40s.  I did
exactly what you suggest.  I built a cardboard chamber that allowed the
FreshRoast to recycle warm air rather than draw cold air.  I use a digital
thermometer with thermocouple sensor into the roasting chamber of the
FreshRoast, then use the heat and fan settings to manually control the
roasting profile.  Everything worked very well.

The FreshRoast is showing signs of fatigue.  I still use it to roast
decaf.

I recently purchased and began using a Behmor 1600 plus.  The Behmor uses
quartz heat lamps, rather than hot air, so is less affected by ambient
temperature.  I do light roasts of small batches in the kitchen -- the
Behmor controls smoke very well.  For larger, darker batches, I roast in
the garage.  I considered an enclosure for the Behmor, but found that the
outside surface of the Behmor gets very hot -- well over 200oF.  I think
the cardboard box would be a fire hazard.  And part of the roasting process
with the Behmor is (at least for me) visual.

So my procedure is:
Store the Behmor and green beans in the house.
On roasting day, weigh out the green beans and charge the drum while still
in the house.
Move the roaster to the garage and begin roasting with little delay, but no
other accommodation.  It begins before it realizes it is in a cold
environment, and everything works well.  At least so far.

Best regards,
Howard