[Homeroast] Transition advice

John Nordling john.nordling at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 11:58:28 CST 2015

I have no expectation that I'll be drinking the first batch or two.  I want
to get some general idea of how the tool will function under load, with a
low cost of failure (and ruined good beans).  I'd much rather figure out
the heat profile for a full drum up to first crack with something that I
don't even necessarily want to drink.

For example, in my current system of a whirly-pop on a gas range, I know
where to set my heat to get first crack about 7-8 minutes into the roast,
somewhat bean dependent.

Since I'll be using a new grill with a new drum and significantly higher
mass of beans, I would like to learn how high I need to set the fire to get
to first crack in, say 15 minutes (since there's no way I'll get there in
less than ten with 4 lbs of beans holding the temperature down).

That's why I want some cheapo beans.  A much more cost effective experiment
from my perspective.

John

~~
"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all."   Neutral Milk
Hotel, *In the Aeroplane Over the Sea*

Email:  john.nordling at gmail.com